The NC3Rs awards an annual prize of approximately €30,000 to a scientific publication that presents outstanding and original approaches to replacing, reducing or refining the use of animals in research.
This prestigious award consists of a £28k prize grant and a £2k personal award.
The Prize is awarded to an individual who may be the Principal Investigator, research lead or any other author. Any researcher in academia or industry, in the UK or overseas is eligible.
Applications are assessed by a 3Rs Prize Selection Panel.
Entries are assessed by the 3Rs Prize Selection Panel based on:
- The actual and/or potential impact on the 3Rs
- Importance of the research question
- Transparency and robustness of the study design
- How well the impacts (3Rs and scientific) have been disseminated to date
- Strength of plans for the Prize grant
- Potential impacts for the research, 3Rs and development of the individual
Current information on the funding in 2023 will be announced on this page in good time.
Back to Overview